Monday 3 May 2010

The Basic Principles of TCM that I Have to Know - Wu Xing (The Five Phases)

Understanding the concept of Yin and Yang only will not take me deeper to Traditional Chinese Medicine concept. I need to know about Wu Xing. After reading some explanations, I realize that Wu Xing is not something easy to be understood, but once I get it I know how the system of my body influences each other.

When Yin and Yang combine and alternate, they create the Five Phases (expressions) of the Qi known as Wu Xing. Wu Xing is actually the short form of “Wu zhong liu xing zhi Qi” which means “the five types of Qi which prevail in the different times”. Qi is usually translated as energy or life force. The theory of Wu Xing came into being in the 4th century BC. With its help, Tsu Yen (350-270 BC) and his students tried to demystify nature and create an intellectual, rational, self-contained theoretical system. Wu Xing relates the entire spiritual, emotional, material, and energetic phenomena of the universe to five basic phases e.g. Earth, Metal, Water, Wood, and Fire. Each one of them represents a movement, a different transformation of Qi.

The five types of Qi connect and interact one with the other in various manners (cycles). The knowledge of the cycles enables me to know how these energies are controlled in nature and also in my body. The cycle can be creative (productive), controlling (destructive), and weakening. In the creative cycle, each element intensifies, nourishes and reinforces the following one. Wood nourishes fire, fire produces the earth, the earth produces metal, metal produces water, and water nourishes wood. In the controlling cycle, each element controls and can destroy the other. Fire melts metal, metal cuts wood, wood weakens th earth, the earth blocks the water and water extinguishes fire. The weakening cycle consists of the inversion of the creative cycle. Metal weakens the earth, the earth weakens the fire, fire weakens the wood, wood weakens water, and water weakens the metal.

In the reality of my life, I am experiencing the transformation of the Yin Yang and the Wu Xing, which reflects the phenomenon in the macrocosm. Yin and Yang within Wu Xing represents my organs. Yin Wood represents my liver, Yang Wood my gall bladder; Yin Fire represents my heart, Yang Fire my small intestine; Yin Earth represents my spleen, Yang Earth my stomach; Yin Metal represents my lung, Yang Metal my large intestine; Yin Water represents my kidney, Yang Water my bladder. The interdependence of my organs will be able to be understood like this : my kidneys (water) nourishes my liver (wood), so my kidneys deficiency affecting the function of my liver. My kidneys (wood) are said to restrain my heart, such as my kidneys’ PH affecting my heart (fire) activity.

Yin and Yang within Wu Xing are playing important role in my life. My life will be in harmony and abundant, if Yin and Yang of Wu Xing are balanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment