Monday 10 May 2010

Food Flavor Association with Organ Networks in Traditional Chinese Medicine

Until now I feel that I have learned quite a lot about Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and food, but there are still many things I have to understand. It is okay because there is no short cut for getting a healthy body. After studying about the five flavors, now I am trying to understand about how the five flavors influence my organ networks.

According to TCM I have five organ networks (Zang Fu) :
1.Kidney - Bladder
My kidney network is responsible for reproduction and growth in my body. Delayed growth, infertility, low back pain, paranoia, fuzzy thinking, weak vision, and despair are all considered problems of the kidney. I have some of those symptoms, so I have to pay more attention to my kidney network.
2.Heart – Small Intestine
My heart pumps my blood through the vessels, maintains my body’s spirit, and governs my mind. Anxiety, restless sleep, and heart spasms occur when the heart network is disturbed. Sometimes I get those symptoms but not often.
3.Spleen - Stomach
My spleen network controls my food disgestion and my ability to think clearly. Indigestion, bloating, fatigue, scattered thinking, and poor concentration are signs of spleen problems. Several months ago, before I learned TCM and food, I had those symptoms. But now not anymore.
4.Liver - Gallbladder
My liver network is responsible for the storage of my blood, flow of my Qi, and control of my temper. Tension in the neck and shoulders, high blood pressure, headaches, cramping, moodiness, and impulsive behavior result from liver problems. When moodiness comes to me, I have manage it so it will not weaken my liver.
5.Lung – Large Intestine
My lung network sets my body’s rhythm and allows my body to inhale oxygen. Tightness in the chest, unhappiness, and being prone to colds and flu result from lung problems. I will not keep my unhappiness for a long time because it will give me lung problems.

How the five flavors give effects to my organ networks? Huang di Nei Ling Shui Zu Yi in The Yellow Emperor’s Classic of Medicine said : “Saltiness enters the kidneys, bitterness enters the heart, sweetness enters the spleen, sourness enters the liver, acridity enters the lungs.”

No comments:

Post a Comment