Thursday 13 May 2010

Cooking Methods in TCM

Paying attention to the thermal nature, flavor (associated with my organ networks), and direction of food are not enough for keeping my body balance. There is one more point that I have to learn carefully, cooking methods. Cooking is regarded in TCM as a kind of pre-digestion process that makes it easier for digstion to occur. The Qi or thermal nature of foods is influenced by the cooking methods.
There two cooking methods :

1.Cooling Cooking Methods
This methods increase the Yin potential of foods. Steaming, boiling, blanching, salting belong to Cooling Cooking Methods.

2.Warming Cooking Methods
This methods increase the Yang potential of foods. Frying, roasting, stir-frying, grilling, smoking, cooking with alcohol are the example of Warming Cooking Methods.

Each technique should be chosen carefully. I have to see the nature of the ingredients, my body’s conditions, and the season. When I am going to cook some herbs with foods, boiling can be chosen in order to extract more of the herbs’s healing properties.

4 comments:

  1. Great blog! There are only a few great recipes and books out on this topic also more people are searching for TCM recipes: here is one chef that has a cook book out; Chef Raphael Gamon "cooking with Traditional Chinese Medicine"…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi buddies, it is great written piece entirely defined, continue the good work constantly.Dani

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dead consider blissful once I get articles relatable to my subject.
    ricechef.com/aroma-rice-cooker/

    ReplyDelete
  4. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commentators here! acupuncture Commack, NY

    ReplyDelete