Friday 14 May 2010

Healthy Eating Habits in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)

Along with the right choice of foods and preparation methods, TCM also emphasizes healthy eating habits and developing a lifelong, healthy approach to food. The healthy eating habits that I have to develop are :

1.Eating with enjoyment and in a relaxed atmosphere.
For good regeneration of Qi from food, I have to eat with delight and enjoyment in a leisurely and relaxed atmosphere and without any external distractions. Exhausting talks, discussions, and distractions (TV, radio, reading) burden my stomach and spleen, which are especially sensitive to emotional tensions such as worries, anger, and fear. My negative emotions block and weaken the Qi of my digestive organs, resulting in loss of appetite, bloating, regurgitation, and stomach pain.

2.Well-chewed food.
Chinese doctors recommend chewing each bite 10-15 times before swallowing. Well-chewed food supports spleen Qi, satisfies hunger more quickly, and prevents obesity.

3.Stop when it tastes best.
Ideally, I have to stop eating when I am 70-75% full. Overeating impairs my stomach and intestines causing indigestion, bloating, sluggishness, constipation, putrefaction, gas, weight gain and other problems. After excessively large meals, the entire Qi and blood of my body is pulled into the center burner to cope with the excess. Sleepiness and a burdened feeling will appear after big meal.

4.Eat mainly cooked food.
According to TCM my meals should primarily be cooked and eaten warm. Raw vegetables and fruits, when eaten excessively, cool and weaken my digestive system, causing such problems as bloating, watery stools and lack of energy.

5.Adopt a diet of mostly grains.
TCM maintains that human Qi originates with guQi, which literally means “Qi of grains”. Thus Chinese Medicine recognizes grains in particular rice, but also all other grains as the foundation of human vitality. In fact, according to Chinese herbology, the taste of grains is generally sweet, and this flavor tonifies ny spleen and stomach, which together are the organs responsible for transforming guQi into zhenQi, true human vitality.

6.Don’t drink cold drinks.
Consuming cold drinks with food is very bad for digestion. My digestive process requires heat to break down what I eat and drink. Cold is, by nature, slowing and contracting, slow and impede digestion, causing digestive upsets, abdominal pain and discomfort. Instead, I have to drink warm water. Warm-hot water helps flush out toxins.

7.Don’t drink excessively.
Too much drink will weaken my digestion, just as overeating does. Excess liquids overburdens my kidneys too.

8.Eat at fixed, regular times.
My body likes and responds to regularity.

9.After meals take a slow walk.
A slow, leisurely walk after meals for 10-20 minutes facilitates digestion and nutrient absorption.

10.Breakfast is my biggest meal.
This ensures plenty of energy throughout the day. My meals should become progressively smaller throughout the day. According to TCM, eating a big dinner, especially of heavy food, or eating just before bed are bad habits. The result is incomplete digestion of food, bloating, constipation, sluggishness, insomnia and other problems.

Balances is key. Excesses of anything in my food creates imbalances in my body and resulting health problems. Eating should be enjoyable. I have to aim for balance and harmony in other aspects of my life too and I will be rewarded with good health and vitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment